Sunday, 19 June 2011

Writing workshop at Hove Library



It took me a long time to understand the point of twitter. Jonathan is a very active member of the twitterati and often sees people out and about who he follows and who follow him, although no personal contact has actually been made. Despite my suggestion that he should just go and say hello to these people, he has always insisted that such an action would be unthinkable.

A month or so ago I joined twitter for myself and realised what all the fuss was about. Without a doubt it’s the best way to get the most up to date information on things that you care about. But talk about information overload. You sign up to follow people and organisations that you’re interested in and every few minutes, your news feed updates you with new information shared by them.

The reason I mention this now is that I’ve started to follow a number of Brighton based organisations; The Great Escape, The Duke of Yorks, The Green Door Store and Brighton and Hove Libraries.

And so it was that I heard of the writing workshop at Hove Library on Saturday lunchtime 2 weeks ago. I had encountered Kay Sexton’s name at the seed swap back in February where I had picked up a packet of her alpine strawberry seeds, so knowing that she was a fellow allotment holder, I was immediately interested in what she had to share.

There were around 12 of us at the workshop, and by the time I arrived, inevitably late, our teacher had already begun, and was quoting an example of reflective writing from her book. A number of exercises followed, where we were each encouraged to try writing our own paragraphs, and were provided with information about persuasive writing and tips on how to address our audience. I hope to practice some of the techniques in this blog over the next few weeks!

It was lovely spending a few hours with people so keen on gardening and was nice to hear their memories and thoughts on all things green. Kay had baked some tasty allotment treats for the half-time break and the session ended with each of us producing a persuasive piece on our favourite (real or imagined) plant.

I wrote about Red-Orange Poppies, my current favourite flowers owing to the amazing colour and the fact that they will mostly self-seed and find their own way to survive. So I was delighted the next day when I spotted some amongst the rubbish at the back of Brighton station, doing just that!



Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment