Tuesday, 6 September 2011

Other Lives @ EoTR



I could not wait for End of The Road this year.

As the festival approached, the list of people I was desperate to see continued to grow....Phosphorescent were the main draw, closely followed by Lykke Li, Beirut, Best Coast and Caitlin Rose.

But as is often the case, it was an accidental discovery that provided the highlight of the festival.

I'd spent Saturday afternoon listening to a string of amazing bands. The music started with a reliably fantastic show by Beth Jeans and the Hooves, followed by a deliciously modest performance by 'Allo Darlin, who seemed genuinely stunned by the delighted reaction of the crowd.

I fell in love with Matthew Houck. With the afternoon sun on my face I listened to his beautiful tales of love and loss and was in heaven when he sang The Mermaid Parade, a tune I've listened to dozens of times on my iPod since I first heard of Phosphorescent a number of months ago.

Just from watching so many amazing sets, I was exhausted.

Jonathan and I dragged ourselves into the Tipi tent and ordered our pints of Late Red as an indie band packed up their instruments. We rested there for a while, enjoying the break as the next band tuned up on the stage in front of us.

I had no idea who they were.

It's really hard to express just how much I loved every second of the Other Lives set. I hope they don't mind me describing them as all my favourite bits of Bon Iver and Fleet Foxes rolled into the best kind of folk americana there is. Just utterly exquisite, enchanting melodies. Wonderful.

When I went to pick up a copy of their new album, Tamer Animals, at Resident yesterday, the man behind the counter expressed surprise at the number of copies he'd sold that day. It didn't surprise me, everyone seemed to have had the same idea after seeing them play.

I'm rubbish at describing music, it's not one of my strengths and I can't do the band justice but I can only say that there's no better accolade than reams of people flocking to buy your album as soon as they possibly can.

Have a listen to this and let me know if you love them as much as me.



No comments:

Post a Comment