Sunday, 18 December 2011

A Christmas package



Anyone who lived in Brighton a year ago will doubtless still be trying to repress a grim memory of queueing outside the North Road sorting office last winter.

We queued in the rain, wind, snow, or a combination of any of the above for hours at a time in order to retrieve our much anticipated Christmas packages. We dreaded the clerk telling us that either a) the package wasn't there yet, b) that we had brought insufficient ID, or even worse, c) coming back to the window to tell us that they couldn't find our post and could we please leave a phone number.

This year, the Sorting Office have streamlined their processes, and the few times I've been in recently I have been met with a strict attendant on the door, who double checks your delivery slip, makes sure you have the right ID , and briskly turns you away should you not have the necessary documentation. They have seemed pretty ruthless.

I mention this now so that you understand how worried I became when I realised that the note that dropped through my letter box to tell me to pick up a delivery from the sorting office was not addressed to me but to "The Curiosity Project".

So off I headed to North Road yesterday morning, armed with 2 types of ID, a bunch of bills displaying my address and an email on my phone to prove that the package was indeed meant for me. I prepared myself for a fight.

As I handed the slip to the stern looking man on the door, he paused as he read the name of the addressee. I reached into my bag for my ID as I began with my explanation.

He stopped me mid sentence. And a twinkle suddenly appeared in his eye.
"We've had a few of these in, love. Come with me."

I followed him into the office where he shouted out to his colleague, chattering to me the whole time about the lady who'd been in last week and told him all about the project and how much she had been looking forward to opening her Curiosity Box. I told him I was planning to wait until Christmas to open mine. The lady last week had been pretty eager to get home and open hers, he told me.

"Fred, Fred, have a look at this. This is what I was telling you about. It'll be on the top shelf on the left out the back."

Fred looked disinterestedly at the card. "But hang on, what name is it under?"

"That's just it, there is no name. You don't know who it's for or who's sent one to you. We've been putting them all under C".

The clerk returned quickly with my post and my new friend looked just about, if not more excited about the box than me.

"That'll be a treat for Christmas" he said as I trotted merrily out the door, box clutched firmly in my hands "Hope you get some nice surprises".

So thank you to the lady who shared the Curiosity Project story at the sorting office , having someone share my excitement was such a lovely way to pick up my Curiosity Box.

Can't wait to open it on Christmas day!

1 comment:

  1. aww that's a lovely little story! i'm sure yours will be as packed full of goodies as mine was. x

    ReplyDelete