Monday, 19 December 2011

Hearts and lights



Jonathan went out with his friends on Saturday night.

Indoors on my own, bored and sniffly with the cold that's been going round the office for weeks, I didn't quite know what to do with myself.

So I decided it would be fun if I could work out how to make a Bokeh lens and take some pretty pictures filled with hearts. I wanted to use the fairy lights around the living room. Soppy I know.

What I found out is that it is UNBELIEVABLY easy!

I used an old Graze Box to make a lens cover out of cardboard (see above) and cut a tiny heart out of the middle. From then it was so simple, set the camera to the widest aperture, switch to automatic focus, blur the picture a bit and the results are just amazing.

Here is our tree normally...

Here is a normal blurred image of the tree
and this is the tree with the heart filter:

Isn't it amazing!?

Tried out the effect on some of our other fairy lights too...



I can't wait to try it with other shapes and in other settings too! So cool.

5 comments:

  1. That's so beautiful! The heart tree reminds me of fabric by Michael Miller 'Hearts o Plenty' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I just looked it up and it really does!

    Link below in case anyone else is curious...

    http://www.emmasfabricstudio.co.uk/products-page/white/fq0143/

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh don't you just love it when things with awesome results are so easy! Gorgeous photos.

    I want to go and buy a camera like yours right away so I can make a graze box heart filter for it too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Found this during a random search and saw a link to my page for the Michael Miller fabric - these are AMAZING pics!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is lovely. I want to try now!

    ReplyDelete