Sunday, 15 January 2012

On crocheting hearts


This weekend's obsession, prompted by the approach of Valentine's Day, was to come up with a crochet heart, with the ultimate aim of making a garland to hang in the living room.

I searched etsy for inspiration and was impressed by the many different approaches used... amigurumi, crocheting in the round, lacing, granny hearts. There seems to be no end to the ideas!

Here are some of my favourites,

From left to right:

1. Red Heart from La Magique 2. Raspberry from Grace & Favour 3. Will you be my Valentine? from Lemons for Lemonade 4. 10 Bamboo hearts from sinchukss

Encouraged by these beautiful ideas, I spent Sunday trying out different approaches. I soon realised how important it was to me to make something very much in my own sweetflag style, ie single crochet, attached by tiny bows, and made of eco friendly yarn. This meant that I had to create a number of different designs using different row counts, different hook sizes, and different yarn until they looked just right. But I think I got there in the end!

What do you think?



2 comments:

  1. LOVE it! And thank you so much for featuring my Valentine's card, you're very sweet :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and I just wanted to let you know that I've awarded you a Liebster Blog Award for up and coming bloggers. Congratulations!

    http://www.emma-lemonade.com/2012/01/liebster.html

    x x

    ReplyDelete