Wednesday, 14 March 2012

Nostalgie




It's so lovely when you hear of someone you know spending some time in a place you're fond of. After hearing that Carla from Polka Dot Lighthouse is spending some time in Zuerich for a project, it prompted me to revisit some of the pictures I took when I was working in the area a few years ago.

A strange nostalgia flooded back. I had been insanely lonely during that time, but also incredibly content. I had a lot of time to think. I enjoyed a stillness that I've never experienced since. The 20 minute walk to work was a dream; ambling through the village in the delirious heat of a continental summer morning; deep breaths of fresh mountain air; a thousand new things to observe.

My memory of Switzerland is a jumble of senses; it's the smell of Ovomaltine and warm Zopf; it's the taste of strong coffee taken with mini toblerones in the office each morning; it's the bright red of flags and window boxes; it's the dark green of the mountains; and it's the delicate sound of cowbells all day long in the fields nearby.

Here are some snaps; the view from the office window, and fireworks at the Seenachtsfest in Rapperswil-Jona in August.







1 comment:

  1. Wow, beautiful photos! It looks so idyllic there and I can relate to your wanting to look at many things on your way to work. My journey to work begins with a funicular :) Will try to get my Zurich post up soon! Carla

    ReplyDelete